Written By: Kyley Jameison
Dear Other Student,
First I would like to congratulate you on making it into college. I’m writing this letter to you in hopes that you get a better understanding of who I am as a young African American woman. I’ve already had my share of experiences at this university, both good and not so good. While I’m sure you are extremely excited to start the school year, there are some things that I would like for you to know about me. This isn’t a threat but an open letter that I hope will clarify some of the things that have constantly come up in my college career thus far.
1. I am part of the most educated groups in terms of gender and race. So when you see me walking around campus with my head held high, know that it is because I have a standard to uphold.
2. There are many young women who look like me. We are not the same person. We are not all related. We do not all know each other.
3. My hair is not a toy. I know that it fascinates you and is absolutely beautiful, but it’s not meant for you to touch. It doesn’t matter whether I’m wearing my hair naturally in curls, have straight hair, weave or no weave; you’re not entitled to touch my hair. Your hand should not be anywhere near the top of my head. No really means no.
4. When a question comes up about African American people, there’s a good chance that I’m not going to know that correct answer. I am one of many and my opinion is my own. If you’re looking to hear my perspective on an issue, I’m more than happy to give you that. I am not, however, ambassadors for all African American people that you see on campus.
5. Twerking is not hereditary. If you happen to see me at a party, do not expect me to start a class on how to dance to the beat. Anyone is capable of doing so if they wish to. I also may not know the words to every song. Heck, this may be the first time I’ve even heard the lyrics. I’m not always in the know when it comes to music you think I’m listening to daily.
6. No, the black jokes are not funny. They don’t break the ice; in fact, they only make things more uncomfortable. Regular, non-stereotypical jokes are just fine.
7. You may meet a couple of people of color who don’t mind you using the N-word. Do not let this one person’s approval represent how everyone feels about you using the word. A majority of us find it to be very disrespectful and would appreciate it if you do not use the term at all.
8. Take the time to go to an event, forum or meeting from your black student organization or coalition. Not being African American does not mean that you aren’t allowed to know about our history, culture or what we’re doing on campus.
9. I never want to hear you say, “I’m blacker than you!” No amount of knowledge or experience will surpass the fact that I’m actually black and you aren’t.
10. African American men are beautiful, intelligent, and strong human beings. I completely understand why you would want to be in a relationship with a black man… but know this: Dating a black man is not something to brag about. Bashing the African American women who are not in a relationship with your man is not okay. If your significant other is okay with that, you need to rethink who you are with.
11. Yes, I am upset about the other shooting of an unarmed African American that I saw on television today. Unfortunately I’m not surprised anymore by these killings and my pain towards it is becoming numb. I’m used to watching footage on the news that is “very disturbing”. I’m used to other people’s comments on black on black crime and how it isn’t a cop problem. I’m willing to talk about it with you, but for some reason I’m taking it as a personal loss, so be careful with what you say about anyone being killed.
12. I expect you to keep me in check as well. I want to respect your culture and ways of living just as much as I want you to respect mine. Let me know what offends you, what makes you uncomfortable, or flat out makes you angry. The only way we can better our community and our college experience together is if we take the time to learn more about each other.
I hope that this has cleared some things up. I look forward to spending the next year with you and growing at this wonderful university!
Subtitled “How White People Should Act”. This is funny because you’ve obviously got us all figured out because we all act the same and do everything on this list. Do you even realize how hypocritical this post is? You are doing the very things you are telling the white people not to do.
“I expect you to keep me in check as well. I want to respect your culture and ways of living just as much as I want you to respect mine. Let me know what offends you, what makes you uncomfortable, or flat out makes you angry. The only way we can better our community and our college experience together is if we take the time to learn more about each other.” That is what I think she said to those of us who aren’t black females! I don’t think she ever said all of us do these things but she… Read more »
That should say “as I am not a black woman”
Where in this post did you see that this was addressed to a specific racial group? People of all races have done these things to me. This isn’t an attack on “white people” its an informative post that will improve the way we treat each other.
i think it isn´t an attack to any paritcular raciel group but it is true the world are divided into black and white. why? i don´t know because someone thought it were a good way to divide humanity. if he believed it weren´t any problem to divided world like that he were wrong. all were equal in the past and in present too.
I do not see any implication toward any specific racial group. So to the person who commented above, I am not quite sure what you’re getting at. The only thing I got from your distasteful comment was that you are part of the problem. You assume that because the author is black, that she is speaking directly toward white people, rather than just, well..people. You wrongly assume that problems black people have with other racial groups are insignificant to the ongoing tension between whites and blacks, enough to go out of your way and comment on it. Didn’t mom ever… Read more »
We need some online forums to get some relaxation from the daily hectic life of students. Life needs masterpapers.com break only then it can move long and smooth. The more you will give breaks the more it will be easy for you.
best uk dating sites free
real free dating websites
cupid dating sites free
free online mobile dating site
american online dating site free
dating site for marriage free
dating phone lines with free trials
dating websites free for women
free dating sites for the elderly in scotland
best dating sites ireland free
paleo vs keto diet
is greek yogurt keto
keto marinara sauce
gay karate teenagers dating https://freegaychatnew.com/
gay bodybuilder dating https://gaychatgay.com/
gay older men dating sites https://gaychatrooms.org/
top ten gay dating sites https://gaydatingzz.com/
jonathan bennett gay dating https://gaychatus.com/
gay couples dating https://gayonlinedating.net/
gay men’s dating site https://gayedating.com/
gay dating tumblr https://gaydatingcanada.com/
craigslist ohio gay dating https://dating-gaym.com/
gay dating miami https://gaydatinglosangeles.com/
masculine gay dating site https://gay-singles-dating.com/
writing an expository essay https://essayghostwriter.com/
writing a comparative essay https://essaywritercentral.com/
write a conclusion for an essay https://essaytag.com/
writing essays in college https://essaysnet.com/
what to write college essay on https://essaypoints.com/
write narrative essay https://online2casino.com/
writing persuasive essay https://onlinecasinos4me.com/
top mobile casino https://casinosonlinex.com/
free casino money https://casinoonlinek.com/
free welcome bonus https://casinoonlinet.com/
help with writing an essay https://student-essay.com/
essay paper writing services https://essaytodo.com/
the best essay writing services https://multiessay.com/
reflective essay on writing https://buy1essay.com/
free simpsons sex games https://sexgameszone.com/
funny games sex https://sexgamesx.net/
best hentai sex games https://sex4games.com/
sex games\\ https://winsexgames.com/
furry hentai sex games https://cybersexgames.net/
borgata online casino new jersey https://conline-casinos-hub.com/
keto garlic bread https://ketogenicdiets.net/
keto chili https://ketogenicdietinfo.com/